We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 4000 specialists in consumer and manufacturing, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government and public services, health and life sciences, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists.
We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Netherlands and Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
**Please note we are recruiting this opportunity for 2023 start date**
Become part of the Team
As a Senior AWS Engineer, you are a practicing member of the team, designing, writing and testing code. You'll be competent at owning and delivering solutions and being the design authority for how features are implemented.
You can expect to use your knowledge of architecture; our clients will look to you for advice and contribution in higher level architectural discussions.
You're familiar with the development process, and take ownership for certain aspects of the process by putting appropriate methods and tools in place.
You will have regular conversations with clients, and be a point of contact between the client and the project team.
Coaching and mentoring more junior members of the team, and deputising for the team principal, will be important in the role.
Your involvement in shaping bids (working with a bid team) will assist to create approaches or proposals, and perhaps you may also add valuable contributions during presentations to clients in a formal selection process.
You'll play an active role in account management
What We’re Looking for
PA is a AWS Advanced Partner and we create innovative solutions using the whole spectrum of AWS products and services, as well as other leading cloud platforms.
One project might need you to modernize and transform a legacy application with cloud technologies and the next might see you creating an innovative new digital product through a series of agile sprints.
You probably have a background as a software or DevOps engineer using languages and tools such as Jenkins, Java, Python, Kubernetes, Packer, Cloud Formation and Terraform, but it's your understanding of cloud technologies, architectures and techniques that are most important.
You may have worked on solutions on AWS or other public cloud suppliers, perhaps using serverless products such as Lambda and DynamoDB, or infrastructure such as ECS, EKS, EC2, S3, ALB, RDS and VPC.
Ideally you will be qualified to Solution Architect or SysOps associate level, although good hands-on experience is just as valued. Working in an agile team is highly sought after, where you're applying development practices which may include;
• Agile sprints to deliver incremental code.
• TDD and/or BDD approaches, considering outcome at design. Knowledge of test automation.
• Secure development and architectural practices, as well as knowledge of non-functional considerations.
• Working alongside others in the team to develop design, elaborate user stories and deliver estimates during story pointing.
• Reviewing code and merge requests with your teammates to provide assurance on a release.
• Developing code using CI/CD tools, such as, Jenkins or AWS CodeStar.
• Resolving root cause analysis and troubleshooting solutions.
• Appreciating scalability, high availability and disaster recovery requirements and how these relate to AWS Cloud services.
• Using fundamental tools and languages E.g. AWS CLI, Cloud Formation/Terraform, SQL, Linux, PowerShell, Shell Scripting, HTML and CSS.
• Different types of database, e.g. RDS (MySQL, Postgres MS SQL), DynamoDB, MongoDB, and newly emerging databases like Quantum Ledger and Neptune. Developing schema for supporting business logic and data.
• Developing solutions in the cloud, using AWS, GCP or Microsoft Azure.
• JIRA for tracking progress and traceability.
• Knowledge of Microsoft architectures an advantage
PA’s common technology components:
• Lambda • Containers using EKS, ECS and Beanstalk
• Big data tools such as EMR and Athena
• Dataflow, Apache Beam
• DialogFlow, Auto ML, AI Platform
• Microservices patterns
• Event-driven architectures and message queues
• Relational and non-relational databases
Languages and frameworks
• Common frameworks and APIs such as Spring Boot, Guice, Jersey, Node.js, Flask
• Knowledge of JVM, its limitations, weaknesses, and workarounds
• Building tools such as Maven and Gradle
• CI/CD tools, such as Jenkins and AWS CodeStar
• Using a range of technologies and libraries in the Java ecosystem.
As a Senior AWS Engineer (Consultant), you are a practicing member of the team, designing, writing and testing code. You'll be competent at owning and delivering solutions and being the design authority for how features are implemented.
• You can expect to use your knowledge of architecture; our clients will look to you for advice and contribution in higher level architectural discussions.
• You're familiar with the development process and take ownership for certain aspects of the process by putting appropriate methods and tools in place.
• You will have regular conversations with clients and be a point of contact between the client and the project team.
• Coaching and mentoring more junior members of the team, and deputising for the team principal, will be important in the role.
• Your involvement in shaping bids (working with a bid team) will assist to create approaches or proposals, and perhaps you may also add valuable contributions during presentations to clients in a formal selection process.
• You'll play an active role in account management.
We have deep full-stack development expertise across multiple technologies. We have specialists in Architecture, Quality Assurance and DevOps – as well as colleagues with expertise in Cloud, Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things and Technology Innovation.More about Engineering & Devops
"The thing I love most about working here is the people. I really enjoy working with people who make an effort to share knowledge, take mental health at work seriously, and care about addressing anything that isn’t working well."
We all work best when we feel valued, supported and life feels balanced, so we got the folks who actually work here to design our benefits.
Flexible healthcare plans just for you or your family. Depending on your office location, we offer a range of benefits including dental, eye tests, gym discounts, Cycle to Work, and more.
Now, more than ever, we recognise the value of flexible working. As soon as you join, we’ll have an open discussion about what works best for you. We’ve also enhanced our parental leave, so you can make more time for those major family milestones.
Because there’s more to life than just work… All our office locations have competitive annual leave allowances. You can also buy up to five extra days per year in addition to your standard allowance.
Learning never stops – it feeds the mind, expands our skills, and strengthens our team. We offer a range of ongoing internal and external training programmes covering everything you'll need to grow your career ambitions and keep you curious.
We offer all the sensible things as well, including a pension, life assurance, income protection schemes, and PA shares.
Take advantage of our great Give as You Earn scheme, or why not volunteer up to three days a year for a charity close to your heart?
Whether you’re just starting out, or you’re a practiced hand, we have active and firm-wide support communities in place to help everyone at PA get the support they need.
Find out more
With offices spread across the globe, we’re able to relocate our people who want to move – whether temporarily or permanently. Your starting location doesn’t have to be forever, as your career takes off – so can you.
The base office for this role is Belfast. However, you may sometimes be required to work onsite at client offices, too. You can find out more about our offices and remote working approach on our Locations page.
79 Chichester Street, Belfast, BT1 4JE
Our office is right in the city centre, a few minutes' walk from several Translink Metro stops, Lanyon Place and Great Victoria Street train stations. There’s also lots of parking in the vicinity – the closest being Victoria Square right across the road.
Laganside bus station – 5 minutes walk
Europa bus station – 12 minutes walk
Lanyon Place – 8 minutes walk
Great Victoria Street – 13 minutes walk
Benefits at PA:
PA is committed to building an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people can excel. We believe that greater diversity stimulates innovation, enabling us to fulfil our purpose of ‘Bringing Ingenuity to Life’, supporting the growth of our people, and delivering more enduring results for our clients.
We only recruit, promote and reward our people based on their contribution, without regard to gender, race, disability, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.